Lewis & Clark Memorial
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Courtesy of Council Bluffs Convention & Visitor's Bureau, Photos by Carla Chance
A monument erected in November 1935 on Rainbow Point, a high, wind-swept bluff above a loop in the Missouri River, commemorates the council Lewis and Clark held with Indians during the expedition to the Far West in 1804. The monument, constructed of native stone from Folsom Quarry, is the work of sculptor Harry E. Stinson, Winfield, Iowa, and architect George L. Horner. The meeting place was called Council Hill or Council Bluffs and this name was later applied to the area and finally to the settlement on the Missouri River, which had first been called Hart's Bluff. Sculpturing on the monument depicts Lewis and Clark meeting with the Otoe and Missouri Indians.